Basic Function & Purpose of the Role
Job Title Senior Network Engineer
Reporting to Head of Infrastructure
Direct Reports None
Date completed/updated August 2023
Basic Function and Purpose of this Role
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the design and maintenance of PLI’s IT networks. The person will act as a senior member of the technology department, and will be able to offer guidance and best practice on a range of networking technologies, as well as be able to maintain the existing networking infrastructure.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Oversee all of PLI’s network, compromising of internal LAN, WAN, and support of the 3rd party networks
- Design and secure all of PLI’s networks up to industry best practices
- Partner with projects team and security teams, ensuring implementing network designs up to their requirements for upgrading existing corporate networks, as well as re-architecting network segments to facilitate new requirements, technologies and growth.
- Resolve network communications and operations problems impacting external or internal customers.
- Support other operational teams in the implementation of their projects where networks are affected.
- Engage with the broader technical community to anticipate developments in innovation, often evaluating new solutions and recommending future business network requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, Math, or Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ Years IT experience in the following areas:
- Broad/Hands on knowledge across leading network vendors such as Fortigate, Aruba and HP
- Knowledge in any of MS Teams telephony, Aruba wifi and Azure networking would be a distinct advantage.
- Broad knowledge of Project Management methodology and best practices.
- Knowledge of Network technologies, BGP, DMVPN, VPN, SSH
- Strong command on Datacenter Network technologies
- Networking, including LAN/WAN - Firewalls, switches, telephony and wifi
- Experience with TCP/IP protocol communications.
- Experience in client VPN technologies (Knowledge of AOVPN would also be desirable)
- Experience with Design - HLD/LLD is desirable
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Self-starter with demonstrated listening skills.
- Serves as a mentor to junior employees and leads others and uses good judgment.
Internal – wider technologies teams(namely IT security and IT Projects team), key business stakeholders
External – Internet providers, hardware providers, 3rd party vendors